Frequently Asked Questions

Ein Frauengesicht blickt Hilfe suchend nach oben.

What is a module?

A module is a grouping of courses within which the grades are averaged based on the weight of the ECTS points.

Where can I see which courses are grouped as a module?

The modules are visible in the appendixe of the respective study plan:
Anhang zum Studienplan Chemie und Molekulare Wissenschaften (pdf, 6.4 MB)
Anhang zum Studienplan Biochemie und Molekularbiologie (pdf, 381KB)
Anhang zum Studienplan Pharmazie (pdf, 843KB)

Can exams be repeated?

The exams can be repeated once. Passed exams cannot be repeated.

Do exams have to be taken at the first offered date?

Yes, as the repetition exam dates (2nd dates) for the courses from chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy and biology are only offered to those students who failed the first exam, were sick or in the military service or had another exam for an elective or another mandatory course at the same time. Therefore, it will be verified if registered students fulfill these conditions and you might have to show prove that you were not able to participate at the first exam date. Therefore, please always register for the first exam date.

How is the overall grade of a module calcualted?

The grade of the exam of a course will be multiplied with the ECTS of this same course. All such ECTS weighted grades of a module will be added up and the total will be devided through the sum of the ECTS of this module.

When does a module count as passed?

When the ECTS weighted average grade of the module is ≥4.0, then the module counts as passed. In addition, there are not more than 3 insufficient grades allowed in the first year of study.
If you want to accept some insufficient grades for a module, you have to compensate them via KSL yourself through the menu point "compensate grade".

Where can I see my grades?

In the electronical examination management tool of the University of Bern "KSL". As soon as a lecturer has entered the grades for an exam in KSL and the dean's office has released these grades, you will receive an automated e-mail from the system to let you know about the grade entry in your planning view.

Where can I find some help regarding KSL?

Under the following link you will find a video introduction for students: KSL-Einführung für Studierende
There is also a KSL FAQ-site for students: FAQ students (Link)

How do I know if I have to repeat an exam?

All bachelor students in chemistry and biochemistry, who started their studies in the fall 2016 or later, have to repeat every failed first exam. Compensation is only possible, when the insufficient exam has been repeated. For the compensation the grade of the second exam counts. Keep in mind, that the average of a module has bo be 4.0 or higher at the end.

Bachelor students in chemistry and biochemistry, who started their studies before the fall of 2016, pharmacy students and master students in chemistry, should note the following: After all the exams of a study year have been taken, the overall grade of the module will be calculated. If a module is insufficient, it will be indicated in KSL. You then have to register for the respective repetition exam(s).

What are electives?

Electives are courses of your own choice from the lecture list in KSL of the University of Bern, that you actually have to obtain. A list of recommended, and eligible elective courses for the 3rd through 6th semester can be found with the lecture schedules:
Wahlveranstaltungen Biochemie
Wahlveranstaltungen Chemie
Wahlveranstaltungen Pharmazie

This list contains suggestions that are currently listed in KSL as electives and that are eligible.

I have attended a language course at the University of Bern. Can I have this course accredited as well for my studies?

No. After a decision of general principle of the vice rector for teaching (Nov. 2007), language courses can generally not be accredited to a bachelor or master's program, not even as an elective. However, the successful conclusion of such a course will be shown seperately as extra-curricular merit on the "Diploma Supplement".
All concerned courses are listed on the website "Weiterbildung" of the University of Bern under Sprache (with link to the ISW website). or the Academic English Services (AES).

Change of university: Can I enroll at the University of Bern before I know whether I have successfully completed my studies at the previous university?

This is possible. The admissions office needs your pre-registration including a request for late registration two weeks before the start of the fall semester at the latest. (Infos betr. Anmeldefristen).

The documents for enrollment (Original of qualifications, copy of ID, exmatriculation confirmation, level of entry confirmation from the dean's office when requesting admissions to a higher level or to a master's program) have then to be submitted by the end of September at the latest. (Application and Admission Information)

Where do I find more information on the topic of military service and studying?

On the following page Universität-Militär.

FAQ in connection with the transfer to the succession university for pharmacy students are being answered in the following document: 

FAQ Pharmazie (pdf, 163KB) 


Do you miss something on the study websites of the DCB? Is one of the entries not up to date anymore? Please send your suggestions to the administration office of your study program. We will verify your request and if possible take appropriate actions.