- 1993 – 1998: Diploma in Chemistry, University of Zürich. Diploma thesis: synthesis of unnatural polyamines (group of late Prof. Dr. Manfred Hesse).
- 1998 – 2003: PhD thesis, University of Basel. Synthesis and study of iron porphyrin model compounds as mimics for cytochrome P450 enzymes (group of Prof. Dr. em. Wolf-D. Woggon).
- 2003 – 2004: Postdoctoral Research Fellow with Prof. Ian Paterson FRS, Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK. Working on the total synthesis of the marine, anti-cancer compound Peloruside A.
- 2004 – 2005: Postdoctoral Research Fellow with Prof. Sarah C. R. Lummis, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK. Study of mutant serotonin 5-HT3 receptors as models for heteromeric ligand-gated ion channels.
- 2006 – 2009: Lecturer in Chemical Biology, Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2010 – 2015: Swiss National Science Foundation Professor (Assistant Professor) in Bioorganic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Bern.
- 2016 – present: Lecturer and Group Leader at the Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine (IBMM), University of Bern.
The general theme of our research is the development of small molecular tools for the cellular study and chemical modification of ion channels, receptors and transporters, thereby complementing molecular biology techniques and offering attractive alternatives to the biological research community. We mainly focus on:
- Fluorescent receptor ligands (antagonists and agonists)
- Photo-crosslinking probes
- Fluorescent turn-on probes for protein labelling
- Schweizerische Chemische Gesellschaft
- Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC)